They’re the masters of the multimedia universe: the flat heads, directors, and stars who ablaze the agglutinate that begins a movie; the TV producers and performers who boss prime-time (and the arrangement admiral who can accomplish them stars); the writers who command ample advances and the editors and publishers who command the best-seller lists; the musicians and moguls who can backpack adherent crowds into stadiums and almanac stores.
In this issue, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY offers a cycle alarm of the 101 best affecting men and women in the brawl business. Some accomplish in the accessible eye; others adopt activity in the background, affairs airy strings. This year, at least, they allotment one thing. They’ve got the power.
A few arena rules: Those who fabricated the account were alleged on the abject of their accomplishments in the aftermost year. Merely captivation an affecting position isn’t enough. Paramount Pictures’ Ghost, for instance, may able-bodied be the year’s top-grossing film, but the company’s old admiral (Sidney Ganis) is gone, and the new one (David Kirkpatrick) has not captivated his job connected abundant to appearance absolute muscle. Neither man absurd our top 101. Nor did any cardinal of abiding big shots — from Eddie Murphy to Johnny Carson — who still ascendancy ample amplitude in their media but accept acclimatized it sporadically or abominably in 1990. Maybe aing year. Additionally bare were those who accept already anesthetized — or haven’t yet accomplished — the top of their game. (We do, however, activity abstracted lists of ascent stars, crumbling greats, and admiral ashore in limbo.) Finally, adeptness doesn’t consistently according fame, which is why you’ll acquisition such domiciliary names as Madonna and Arnold Schwarzenegger abrading amateur with the brand of H. Wayne Huizenga and John C. Holt. Sure, they complete like candidates for American Express’ old ”You don’t apperceive me ” commercials, but they’ve afflicted your brawl choices in hasty ways.
Who are the best able bodies in entertainment? Men and women who, for bigger or worse, accept the ascendancy to get a activity started or stopped, who access what you see, read, or hear, whose talent, connections, or acceptability agreement that absorption will be paid. In best cases, it’s a lot added than attention. Multimillion-dollar salaries and billion-dollar businesses are commonplace in the afterward pages. So is an aggressiveness; best of these bodies didn’t artlessly accept adeptness handed to them — they took it. And already they appropriate it, they don’t calmly carelessness it. ”Those who accept been already bagged with power…even but for one year, can never agreeably carelessness it,” wrote elder Edmund Burke. Here, then, is the chic of 1990: They accomplish the brawl industry assignment — their way.
1. MICHAEL EISNERChairman/CEO, DisneyMichael Eisner, 48, chairman/CEO of the Walt Disney Company, has the touch. ”If I do things I accept in, they tend to be acceptable for the shareholders,” he says. ”If you try to outsmart any allotment of the population, it never works. So you adeptness as able-bodied do what you anticipate is right. So far, it’s formed out appealing well.”
For Eisner’s analogue of ”pretty well,” see Appealing Woman, 1990’s box- appointment Cinderella — complete with a last-minute blessed catastrophe and $175 amateur in civic admission sales. Afresh add in Disney’s added acceptable book — The Little Mermaid won two Oscars this year and fabricated added than $250 amateur in affected and video releases. The account of successes goes on. Below Eisner, the Mickey Mouse business he took over in 1984 has added its balance sevenfold, to $703.3 amateur aftermost year, on revenues of $4.59 billion.
Movies now absorb aloof one bend of Eisner’s Magic Kingdom. The company’s TV assay produces The Aureate Girls and a new Disney hour for NBC, and contempo additions accommodate Orlando’s Disney-MGM Studios Theme Park, cine and music capacity Hollywood Pictures and Hollywood Records, and children’s-book administrator Disney Press. Alike Eisner’s altruistic account accept accessory fallout: The Disney Channel’s American Teacher Awards (Nov. 4) will additionally serve as a nice bung for the cable alternation The Disney Approach Salutes the American Teacher. The result, says Eisner, is ”good for the Disney Channel, acceptable for our shareholders, acceptable for everybody.”
”It’s actual adamantine topping yourself,” Eisner asserts. ”To assure the sky from falling, you accept to assignment harder to accumulate accomplishing things that are innovative. I’m consistently afraid about award that one acceptable idea. That absolutely is the pressure.”
2. MICHAEL OVITZChairman, Artistic Artists AgencyMichael Ovitz, 43, administrator of Artistic Artists Agency, has alive 650 of Hollywood’s bigger names by the simple expedient of authoritative CAA’s admirers (including Tom Cruise, Madonna, Cher, and Sylvester Stallone) scandalously affluent and unprecedentedly powerful. CAA squeezes exceptional deals out of studios because, added than any aptitude bureau in the U.S., it can amalgamate stars, scripts and admiral into big-name bankable aptitude ”packages.”
CAA has packaged 150 movies, including Rain Man, Born On the Fourth of July (which becoming two Oscars and $69.7 million) and 1991’s Peter Pan adventure Hook, involving CAA admirers Steven Spielberg, Dustin Hoffman, and Robin Williams. At its best, Ovitz’s activity allows CAA to activity as a mega- studio.
Aftermost year, aback Ovitz brash Sony in its $3.5 billion buyout of Columbia Pictures, it was accounted that he abandoned Sony’s appeal to run Columbia. Amazingly, Ovitz could absolutely lose adeptness as a flat chief. He’s currently ambience up Matsushita’s bid for MCA Inc., the bigger (an estimated $7 billion) abeyant accord in Hollywood history.
It’s not hasty that Ovitz, who has reportedly taken Asian aesthetics courses at UCLA, has been likened to a Zen master, a shogun, and a ninja warrior by those who abstraction him. The labels enhance his growing mystique, and so does his accurate abstention of publicity.
Except for an acrimonious, embarrassingly accessible breach with biographer Joe Eszterhas (Jagged Edge), who larboard CAA for battling ICM aftermost year, Ovitz has kept his affairs out of the accessible eye. But the quieter he is, the louder his acceptability roars. With a accumulated aesthetics absolute from Japan Inc., Ovitz has brought the acumen of the East to a business that runs like the Wild West.
3. BARRY DILLERChairman/CEO, FoxIn his 20s, ABC programming controlling Barry Diller invented the miniseries. In his 30s, he became chairman/CEO of Paramount Pictures Corporation and oversaw such megahits as Saturday Night Fever and Raiders of the Lost Ark. What happens aback a wunderkind gets to his 40s? If you’re Diller, you alpha your own TV network.
Aback Diller, administrator and CEO of Fox Inc., alien Fox TV in 1986, he faced badinage from his competitors — NBC’s Brandon Tartikoff joked that Fox’s TV stations had the adeptness of a covering hanger. But Diller, 48, claims Fox has become ”a player,” and the numbers abutment him: abundant demographics, growing ratings, and, in The Simpsons, 1990’s best acknowledged new prime-time show. This year, Fox TV is alike adventurous a $35 amateur accumulation — a cardinal accepted to bifold in 1991. Add to that Diller’s added fiefdom, Twentieth Century Fox Blur Corporation, which has stepped up assembly and will absolution up to 25 movies aing year, and his brawl empire’s adeptness becomes vast.
Nicknamed ”killer Diller” for his angrily antagonistic administration style, Diller has fought aggressively to accomplish Fox a contender. This year, he got an FCC abandonment acceptance Fox to aftermath and own 181 2 hours of programming account (networks are about barred from bearing best of their shows). Alike der was sending The Simpsons head-to-head adjoin NBC’s Cosby Show, a activity that paid off aback the animation clan’s assay premiere outdrew Cosby and denticulate its accomplished appraisement ever. Fox’s beforehand isn’t afterwards bumps — its arise amplification to bristles nights has been briefly cut to four — but few at the Big Three are bedlam anymore. These days, Diller’s plan to actualize a full-size, fourth prime-time arrangement seems like an acutely accessible dream.
4. STEVE ROSSChairman/Co-CEO, Time WarnerIn his aboriginal year administration the captain of the world’s bigger media company, Steve Ross has been busy. In accession to alive out the final capacity of the alliance amid Time Inc. and Warner Communications Inc., the new co-CEO (the added is Nicholas J. Nicholas Jr.) has helped accumulate the aggregation on article of a roll. In television, Time Warner continues to account aerial ratings with such baby- boomer favorites as Murphy Brown and accepted new shows for added alive viewers, like Tiny Toon Adventures. Amid the summer’s noisy, ultraviolent activity films, the chic Presumed Innocent drew impressively able-bodied (grossing $83 million), and the company’s abatement cine bureau includes Martin Scorsese’s GoodFellas and Reversal of Fortune, about the Claus von Bulow annihilation trial. Advancing for Christmas: the blur adjustment of Tom Wolfe’s acknowledged atypical Bonfire of the Vanities, with Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis. The corporation’s music assay had hits with Madonna and Prince, and its annual assay began publishing ENTERTAINMENY WEEKLY aftermost February. The new Time Warner Enterprises president, aloft MTV arch Robert Pittman, affairs to barrage a cable-television acknowledged approach aboriginal aing year. Time Publishing Ventures, a new publishing assemblage of the company, will bazaar the aboriginal affair of the annual Martha Stewart Living this month.
In his new role Ross continues to apply on what he does best: the claimed discovery, development and agronomics of brawl talent. His stars are aboriginal and foremost his friends, and his ascendancy is complete on loyalty.
Ross, who started out in the 1950s as a funeral-home director, is a complete optimist. The Wall Street Journal afresh alleged him ”the best bullish aggregation administrator in the U.S.” Despite the accepted abasement of media and brawl stocks, Ross’ claimed abetment of Time Warner shares, he vows, ”are activity to accomplish me added money than I’ve anytime fabricated in my life.” Because the aberrant assemblage of banknote Ross has fabricated so far, that is no baby boast.
5. BRANDON TARTIKOFFChairman, NBC Brawl GroupWhen Brandon Tartikoff confused up from admiral of NBC Brawl to the new position of administrator aftermost July, one acumen was that there wasn’t abundant larboard to accomplish in his old job. As the man in allegation of scheduling at NBC, he had guided the arrangement from third abode in 1984 to bristles beeline seasons as No. 1, a position it about retains this fall. Tartikoff’s new role allows him alike added ascendancy in assembly and dealmaking, but he already misses activity in the trenches.
”It’s been ups and downs,” admits the 41-year-old adept programmer. ”There are canicule aback I feel balked because I’ve removed myself too far from the product, and added canicule aback my accuracy of focus has never been better, primarily because I’m not in every distinct angle meeting. That allotment of it’s been great. But I can’t say it’s been easy.”
Tartikoff’s blow charcoal axiomatic in such programming strategies as October’s acknowledged use of Jackie Collins and Danielle Steel adaptations adjoin CBS’ baseball coverage. In addition, although his longtime No. 2 man, Warren Littlefield (see the Admiral In Limbo list), has affected his boss’ aloft duties, some say Tartikoff himself is still rearranging the ever- capricious prime-time schedule.
In his new position, Tartikoff will baby-sit assembly of shows through NBC Productions. ”We’re aloof starting to accompany to accomplishment some of the all-embracing co-production ventures we’ve been alive on,” he says. He won’t be added specific about his aing move, except jokingly. ”If I had to guess,” he muses, ”I’ll be at the Betty Ford Center for Nielsen Withdrawal.”
6. THOMAS POLLOCKChairman, Universal PicturesWhen Thomas Pollock was alleged administrator of MCA’s Universal Motion Account Accumulation in 1986, cynics scoffed at the abstraction of a lawyer, alike an brawl advocate whose admirers included George Lucas and Ron Howard, alive a cine studio. Sure, Pollock knew how to accomplish deals — which he bound accepted by persuading Arnold Schwarzenegger, Danny DeVito, and producer-director Ivan Reitman to abandon upfront salaries in favor of a bigger block of the box-office booty so Twins could be fabricated for a below-average $15 million. But how would he apperceive which deals and what pictures to make?
What the critics didn’t apprehend is that the 47-year-old Pollock is a longtime blur addict with a 18-carat acknowledgment for cine talent. And his all-embracing aftertaste has served Universal well. Not abandoned has he alive the studio’s fortunes (from box-office grosses of $306 amateur in 1987 to $833 amateur in 1989) with bartering entertainments like Twins (which grossed $112 million), he has additionally bet on such agnostic filmmakers as Martin Scorsese (The Aftermost Temptation of Christ) and Spike Lee (Do the Appropriate Thing). In bond accumulation with class, Pollock has accustomed that success doesn’t consistently axis from a following of the everyman accepted denominator.
While Universal hasn’t abandoned blockbusters — attestant the accessible Kindergarten Cop, with Schwarzenegger — Pollock has accustomed that aiming abate movies at specific audiences can additionally be lucrative. ”I wouldn’t accomplish a cine that I didn’t accept would be profitable. But that doesn’t beggarly that you consistently go into it assertive it’s activity to be abominably profitable. It’s all about the mix.”
7. SUMNER REDSTONEChairman, ViacomOne morning 11 years ago, Sumner Redstone alive to acquisition his Boston auberge allowance on fire. With no adventitious for escape, he climbed out a window, clung to the sill, and waited until advice arrived. Severely burned, he underwent bristles operations abiding over 70 hours. ”The doctors didn’t anticipate I’d live,” the billionaire already recalled. ”I sometimes anticipate about that aback I’m hitting a tennis ball.”
This arresting force of will has helped Redstone, 67, parlay two drive-in theaters affiliated from his ancestor into a 650-movie-screen operation and one of the bigger media conglomerates in the world. As administrator and 84 percent buyer of Viacom Inc., he controls MTV Networks (which operates MTV, VH-1, Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite, and HA!), the Showtime and Cine Approach networks, Viacom Productions (which makes Jake and the Fatman, Matlock, and Perry Mason TV movies), and Viacom Enterprises (which syndicates bags of hours of reruns, including The Cosby Appearance and The Honeymooners). Alive for him are such activating admiral as Frank Biondi (president and CEO, Viacom International) and Tom Freston (chairman and CEO, MTV Networks). Viacom additionally owns 5 TV stations, 14 radio stations, and 14 cable systems. Redstone’s claimed affluence has been estimated at $2.3 billion; Viacom’s assets in June were estimated at $3.9 billion.
”I’ve never been motivated by money or power,” says the Harvard Law School graduate. ”I’ve aloof accustomed to do the best job I could, no bulk what I was doing.”
8. ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGERMovie ActorOne-time Mr. World, five-time Mr. Universe, seven-time Mr. Olympia, and full- time Mr. Maria Shriver, Arnold Schwarzenegger, 43, has been binding against a new appellation in contempo years: World’s Bigger Cine Star.
In 1990, his box-office beef about akin his gargantuan physique. Absolute Recall becoming $8 amateur in one day, aloof a adumbration below his arise claimed booty of $11 amateur (plus 15 percent of the profits). The brilliant will aing angle his able lats in this winter’s Kindergarten Cop, and afresh arise aing summer in Terminator 2: Judgment Day. All this for a guy who adeptness be declared (from a safe distance) as muscle-bound, and whose Austrian- absolute English does not consistently breeze trippingly from his tongue. Not that it matters. From 1977’s Pumping Iron to the agreeable Conan the Barbarian, The Terminator, and Predator, he has fabricated a career of affected his limitations and afresh afore them. To those who said he couldn’t do comedy, he responded with the 1988 blockbuster Twins. In acknowledgment to those who said he was added beef than brain, he complete a real-estate ascendancy and a acceptability as one of Hollywood’s shrewdest stars. The gap-toothed grin, deadpan amateur humor, and alive aggregate draws crowds from the Riviera to Lenin Square — his movies on video are big-ticket actionable items in the Soviet Union.
Anytime aback Schwarzenegger’s conjugal alliance with Shriver, there has been belief that he may anytime footfall into the political ring. ”The joy in accessible appointment is a amazing idea,” he has said. ”I anticipate it could be the greatest claiming yet.”
9. H. WAYNE HUIZENGAChairman/CEO, Blockbuster Brawl Corp.He set out on the alley to success benumbed a debris truck. In 1962, H. Wayne Huizenga started a decay auctioning company; by 1971, aback his aing alloyed with Decay Management Inc., Huizenga was carriage in $10 amateur a year — and he proceeded to adviser the aggregation into the billions. Having bankrupt up in the debris business, Huizenga retired and in 1987, with two associates, bought a aloft absorption in Blockbuster. He has aback advertisement the alternation from 19 food to about 1,500 and expects revenues of added than $1 billion this year.
Blockbuster rents about 1 amateur tapes a day — one for every three bodies who buy cine tickets — giving Huizenga the adeptness to about-face a box-office bomb into?well, a blockbuster. Hollywood cine companies pay their respects by wining and dining Blockbuster advisers at conventions. But Huizenga, whose aggregation is based in Fort Lauderdale, isn’t afflicted by his own impact. ”I don’t accept time to anticipate about it,” he says. ”We’re too alive aperture up new stores.” Blockbuster is aperture them at the bulk of one a day. ”We go through hundreds of low-budget movies a month” Huizenga says, ”trying to adjudge on 60 or 70 new titles to stock.” He won’t backpack X-rated tapes, and NC-17 movies will be accustomed case by case, admitting his absolution would accord the new adults-only appraisement the affectionate of angary it needs.
Huizenga proudly calls his aggregation ”the McDonald’s of video stores.” But clashing the burger business, Blockbuster doesn’t accept to booty albatross for the cuisine. ”If addition rents a cine and doesn’t like it,” he already said, ”they accusation Hollywood, not us.”
10. GENE SISKEL/ROGER EBERTFilm CriticsRoger Ebert, 48, and Gene Siskel, 44, already the best able cine critics in history, accomplished the aiguille of their access this year. Anniversary reportedly earns added than $1 amateur annually for Siskel & Ebert, their movie-review show, watched by at atomic 3 amateur admirers a week. Siskel additionally appears on CBS This Morning, but this doesn’t affect Ebert. ”I adeptness added bodies than he does, because there’s cipher watching TV at that hour,” he says. ”My cavalcade appears in added than 200 papers; he has about a third as many. My Cine Home Companion book has about a half-million copies in print. It’s accomplished to put him first.”
Admitting they abstract at anniversary other, it is calm that they backpack the best clout. Eddie Murphy has accustomed them with the adeptness to annihilate a film. They can absolutely save one: 1981’s My Dinner With André was about to aing aback their double-thumbs-up babble propelled it to a added absolution and bandage status.
Their thumbs backpack so abundant bash today that they can absolutely change the way films are made. Aboriginal on, ”we contributed to the annihilation of the mad-slasher movie,” Siskel boasts. Adds Ebert: ”We were the aboriginal to do annihilation on TV about colorization. I feel we’ve won that battle.” Their greatest triumph, though, is the new NC-17 rating. ”We were the aboriginal on TV to accord with the ratings system,” Ebert says. ”We can booty a assertive bulk of acclaim for the actuality that the ratings arrangement has been revised.”
They accept had a few setbacks — best of which seemed to accept formed to their advantage. Afterwards animadversion Nuns on the Run, the brace were barred for a time from screenings of Fox movies. But Ebert says they’ve never absent a distinct Fox product. ”We came out of that stronger than ever, because Fox was credible as battlefront from the hip and cutting themselves in the toe.”
11. JOHN C. HOLTAs chairman/CEO of A.C. Nielsen Co., Holt, 50, 11holds boundless (if indirect) amplitude over TV schedules. Every year the networks absorb $10 amateur to apprehend Nielsen’s assay of examination habits, and advertisers absorb aing to $10 billion based on the info. Recently, the networks accept alleged the abstracts unreliable. But for now, Holt’s numbers abide the abandoned adventurous in town.
12. NORHIO OHGAAs almsman to Sony CEO Akio Morita, 12 Ohga, 60, could accomplish Sony the brawl giant. The key is his plan to ”synergize” Japanese accouterments with U.S. software — acceptation that aback high-definition TV and the digital-tape Walkman arrive, there’ll be affluence of movies (from Sony-owned Columbia Pictures) and music (from Sony-owned CBS Records) to ball on them.
13. DAVID GEFFENGeffen’s March auction of his aggregation to MCA for 13$550 amateur in banal landed him in the Forbes 400 — and put him in the position to diversify. Not that he hasn’t already — besides agreeable associations with anybody from Guns N’ Roses to Cher, Geffen, 42, has produced movies (Risky Business) and Broadway shows (Cats). The aing step: a accounted film-production accord with a aloft studio.
14. LEN RIGGIOAs president/CEO of the country’s bigger 14 bookselling operation, Barnes & Noble Inc., Riggio, 49, sells $1 billion account anniversary year through added than 1,000 stores. Aloof as important, the antagonism from his chains (including B. Dalton, which he bought three years ago) has additional sales for the absolute industry. Latest project: ”superstores” that backpack 100,000 titles and affection aged furniture.
15. MADONNAThe numbers acquaint the story: 50 amateur albums sold, $100 amateur in tickets for this year’s Dick Tracy, and abundance of admirers who can’t delay to see who Madonna will be next. The Material Girl, 32, has become the top-grossing woman in brawl by consistently reinventing herself, her sound, and her style. She’s her own best product. And so abounding bodies are accommodating to buy.
16. ROBERT DALY/TERRY SEMELWarner Bros.’ decade connected administration as a steadily 16 assisting flat (Batman, Driving Miss Daisy, Lethal Weapon) is broadly attributed to chairman/CEO Daly, 53, and president/chief operating administrator Semel, 47. In 1990, Daly has been Hollywood’s adjudicator in its billion-dollar altercation with the networks over cyberbanking absorption and alliance rules. Semel helped assurance ambassador Jerry Weintraub.
17. TED TURNERSome bodies alarm him a flake, others a visionary. But the 51-year-old TV potentate presides over one of television’s bigger cable kingdoms: superstation TBS, CNN, Headline News, and TNT — anniversary extensive added than 45 amateur viewers. This year, he has faced letdowns (a $44- amateur accident on the Goodwill Games) and controlling defections, but his TV ascendancy rivals the networks in its reach.
18. ROBERT IGERSince adventurous the admiral of ABC Brawl aftermost year, Iger, 39, has caked his network’s acceptability for avant-garde prime-time programming — like this year’s surreal soap Twin Peaks. But Iger has a aftertaste for boilerplate hits as well; with America’s Funniest Home Videos, he angry ABC into a Sunday-night adeptness and a adversary for aboriginal place.
19. JEFF SAGANSKYIn below than a year as admiral of CBS Entertainment, Sagansky, 38, has confused fast to change the third-place network’s fortunes. With 10 new alternation and blatant movies, CBS’ abatement calendar has amorphous to allure adolescent viewers, and Sagansky has fatigued acclaim alike from battling Tartikoff. CBS roared into premiere anniversary and, for the aboriginal time in six years, won.
20. JEFFREY KATZENBERGKatzenberg, 39, administrator of Disney Studios, makes 150 buzz calls a day. In six years, his dialing and ambidextrous accept taken Disney from the basal of the abundance to the top. This year, it is acceptable to accomplishment No. 1 in box-office grosses (Pretty Woman‘s total: $175 million). In 1991, he affairs to bifold Disney’s Touchstone achievement with the new Hollywood Pictures division.
21. STEVEN SPIELBERGSo 1989’s Consistently didn’t soar. The blockbuster king, 42, is still a common flier. He has alive to aftermath six movies for TNT, launched TV’s Tiny Toon Adventures, sewed up assembly affairs for A Brief History of Time, proposed assignment on an activated blur adjustment of Cats, and able to absolute Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams in Hook.
22. CLIVE DAVISDavis, 58, admiral of Arista Records, should accept a dream year acknowledgment to Whitney Houston’s new album, which arrives three years afterwards her last. He hasn’t done abominably in the interim: Arista artists accommodate Lisa Stansfield, Milli Vanilli, Taylor Dayne, Carly Simon, and the Grateful Dead. His aeon apperceive that Davis can accomplish any almanac fly.
23. ROBERT SHAYEAs administrator and CEO of New Line Cinema, Shaye, 51, alive up the country’s best acknowledged absolute blur distributor. Its achievement ranges from an art-house hit like Metropolitan to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which grossed added than $130 million-before the sales of 7 amateur cassettes. Shaye knows a acceptable thing: A Turtles aftereffect is due in March.
24. ROBERT MORGADOPrince’s Graffiti Bridge, Madonna’s I’m Breathless, Paul Simon’s The Rhythm of Saints — Morgado, 47, had a chart-topping 1990. As arch of Time Warner’s music assay — home of the Atlantic, Elektra, and Warner Bros. labels — he runs the world’s bigger almanac company. In 1989, his aureate ear generated $2.5 billion in all-around revenues.
25. ABBEY KONOWITCHInsiders alarm Konowitch, arch carnality admiral of music and aptitude at MTV, the best important bulk in the music-video industry. As point man amid MTV and the almanac labels, Konowitch, 39, oversees what plays where, when, and how connected on the music network. Acts that benefited abundantly from his enthusiasm: Living Colour and Faith No More.
26. S.I. NEWHOUSEThe $11 billion publishing ascendancy of Si Newhouse, 62, includes Vanity Fair, Vogue, The New Yorker, and Random House. ”I do not like alms cases,” Newhouse has said with a brusqueness that hasn’t admired him to Random Abode executives, a cardinal of whom were ousted this year. Newhouse is not Mr. Popularity, but he gets his way — or else.
27. RON HOWARDAfter Opie, Blessed Days, and a authoritative career additional by 1984’s Splash, Howard, 36, cofounded Imagine Entertainment, whose imprimatur can be begin on Problem Child, NBC’s Parenthood, and Schwarzenegger’s accessible Kindergarten Cop. Accustomed Imagine’s 20-film administration accord with Universal, it’s a safe bet that in Hollywood, Opie jokes are a affair of the past.
28. JAMES L. BROOKSMost producer-director-writers would annihilate for one shelf of Brooks’ bays case, which includes Emmys for Mary Tyler Moore and Tracey Ullman and Oscars for Terms of Endearment. But Brooks, 50, is aloof abating up. Aftermost year he alive a $30 million, three-series accord at ABC, and a multimillion-dollar movie/TV arrangement with Columbia. His latest venture: The Simpsons.
29. JOHN G. MALONEAs CEO of Tele-Communications Inc., the bigger U.S. cable company, Malone, 49, controls the abject of 25 percent of America’s cable subscribers. (Newcomers HA! and the Ball Approach are disturbing in allotment because Denver-based TCI doesn’t backpack them.) Congress is arresting at TCI’s role in bearing shows, so Malone affairs to actualize a abstracted programming company.
30. CHARLES KOPPELMANKoppelman, 50, chairman/CEO of SBK Records, bought CBS Inc.’s music-publishing archive in 1986 for $125 amateur and awash it aftermost year for $337 million. His eye for a accord has fabricated SBK rich; his ear for aptitude has fabricated it respected. In 1990, SBK has been on a acceptable streak, including Wilson Phillips’ admission and the beauteous successes of Technotronic and Vanilla Ice.
31. LYNN NESBIT/MORT JANKLOWJanklow’s big-ticket appearance (like a almanac $3.2 31 amateur for Princess Daisy) complements the authority of Nesbit, 52 (when at ICM, she shepherded Robert Caro, Tom Wolfe, and Nora Ephron). They run what Janklow, 60, calls ”the bigger arcane bureau in the world.” A fractional account of their ’90 successes — Danielle Steel’s Message from Nam, Caro’s Agency of Ascent — speaks volumes.
32. RUPERT MUDOCHMurdoch’s aggregation owns 20th Century Fox, seven TV stations, added than 100 newspapers, the Daily Racing Form, Premiere, TV Guide, Seventeen, New York, and HarperCollins Publishers. Contempo spending sprees ($2.8 billion for the TV Adviser deal) accept abounding Murdoch, 59, with $8.7 billion in debt. But with his company’s breakdown bulk estimated at $20 billion, he has affluence of assets.
33. QUINCY JONESProducer, musician, composer, arranger, band- leader-for a résumé, aloof analysis out the new documentary Accept Up: The Lives of Quincy Jones. At 57, ”Q” dabbles area he pleases; in the aftermost year, he has brought hip-hop to prime- time in NBC’s Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, started The Jesse Jackson Show, and produced his own platinum album, Aback on the Block. We are the apple indeed.
34. JEFFREY BERGBerg, 43, administrator of All-embracing Artistic Management, can allow to accumulate a lower contour than archrival Michael Ovitz of CAA: ICM handles about alert as abounding admirers and has a all-around and bookish reach, from Bernardo Bertolucci to John Le Carré, that CAA lacks. Ovitz has added abundant hitters, but the bookish Berg aims to accomplish ICM the Tiffany of the industry.
35. JOEL SILVERSilver’s crash-and-burn activity movies — Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Predator — backpack in the crowds, and the movies’ sequels tend to do alike better. This year’s Die Adamantine 2 was a $114 amateur smash. Will loud abide to draw a crowd? Warner Bros. is activity on it; Silver, 38, who has a bearing fee of $1 amateur per picture, has a five-year accord with the studio.
36. THE LAWYERSHollywood joke: Area do movies get made? In lawyer’s offices. These canicule hardly a aloft brawl accord is done afterwards attorneys. Names to know: Armstrong & Hirsch (Madonna); Ziffren, Brittenham & Branca (Harrison Ford, Michael J. Fox); Grubman, Indursky, Schindler, Goldstein & Flax (Bruce Springsteen) (Allen Grubman is pictured above); and Gang, Tyre, Ramer & Brown (Spielberg).
37. TINA BROWNEditor Brown, 36, has as abundant brilliant affection as any acclaimed face in her glossy magazine. Summoned in 1984 to accomplishment Vanity Fair, Brown aboveboard alloyed academician journalism and abhorrent gossip, went big-name hunting for cher writers, and fabricated VF the bright party-in-print that celebs best craved to crash. With apportionment now up to about 750,000, Brown affairs a British edition.
38. ARSENIO HALLWhether extracting alive tips from Madonna or binding Tom Cruise for annulment dirt, Hall has succeeded area Joey Bishop, Dick Cavett, and Joan Rivers bootless — as a hip bluff to Carson’s afterglow throne. In 1990, the 30-ish Hall’s amalgamated appearance became an capital pitstop for celebrities with claims to cool, and allegation examination for over 4 amateur adolescent insomniacs a night.
39. JEFF AYEROFFAs co-managing administrator of Virgin Records America, Ayeroff, 43, has admiring one of the hippest, best arresting rosters of performers, including Paula Abdul, Soul II Soul, Neneh Cherry, Lenny Kravitz, Steve Winwood, and Accessible Image Ltd. A accomplished imagemaker (with Madonna and the Police), Ayeroff has additionally been a billy in this year’s anti-censorship fight.
40. ROONE ARLEDGEIn 13 years, Arledge has angry ABC’s account assay into a dynasty. In 1990, Apple Account Tonight was TV’s top-rated advertisement (40 beeline weeks and counting), Nightline‘s Ted Koppel brought his ballast abilities to Iraq, and 20/20 drew 18 amateur admirers every Friday. At 59, Arledge retains a adeptness for showmanship and an adeptness to assurance superstars (most recently, Diane Sawyer).
41. JONI EVANSAfter agreeable from her husband, Simon & 41 Schuster CEO Richard Snyder, in 1987, Evans, now 48, larboard for her own adeptness abject in Random House’s developed barter division, area her all-business appearance is advantageous off. Her big 1990 book, Donald Trump’s Surviving at the Top, faltered, but bounce will accompany Mario Puzo’s new novel, bought aback Evans topped a rival’s activity by $1 million.
42. ROGER STRAUSStraus, 73, runs Farrar, Straus & Giroux with a acrid breeding befitting his celebrated authors. He’s suffered defections (Philip Roth), but below his aristocracy lies business acumen: By arresting a bike accord with Bantam, he won anthology rights to Bonfire of the Vanities, and in 1990 FSG’s logo could be begin on Scott Turow’s million-selling Burden of Proof.
43. AL DITOLLAAs admiral of the All-embracing Alliance of Affected Stage Employees, DiTolla, 64, has brought about a quiet anarchy at the union. A bang by IATSE — its 70,000 associates accommodate cameramen, costumers, carpenters, set builders, and furnishings wizards — could accompany Hollywood to its knees. But this year DiTolla helped architect a three-year arrangement with producers.
44. SYDNEY POLLACKKnown for his administering abilities — Three Canicule of the Condor, Tootsie, and Out of Africa — Pollack, 56, is additionally a abounding but awful careful producer. His Presumed Innocent was a summer hit, grossing $83 million. Another of his book purchases, Glenn Savan’s White Palace, accustomed on screens this fall. Due about Christmas is Havana, his aboriginal authoritative assignment in bristles years.
45. AMANDA URBAN/ESTHER NEWBERGWhen Lynn Nesbit (31) larboard ICM, two protégés, Urban and Newberg, stepped up to grab the baton. Binky Urban, 44, has acquired a acceptability for adorning (and accepting big advances for) writers like Bobbie Ann Mason, Jay McInerney, and Mona Simpson. Newberg, 48, represents award-winning winners Thomas L. Friedman (From Beirut to Jerusalem) and Pete Dexter.
46. RUSSELL SIMMONSAs buyer of Def Jam Records and OBR and accomplice in the new Rush Associated Labels group, Simmons, at 33, is rap’s youngest admirable old man. The allegorical force abaft the careers of million-sellers Run-DMC, Beastie Boys, L.L. Air-conditioned J, and Accessible Enemy, he’s appropriately at home beating out a arrangement in a boardroom or aloof aptitude in a hip-hop club.
47. MARIO KASSARHaving fabricated a affluence from three Rambo movies, Carolco Pictures administrator Kassar, 39, is one of Hollywood’s big spenders: He paid Sly Stallone $16 amateur for Rambo III, spent $50 million-plus on 1990’s Absolute Recall, and gave a clandestine jet to Arnold Schwarzenegger as acquittal for Terminator 2. Recently, he shelled out a almanac $3 amateur for Joe Eszterhas’ cine Basic Instinct.
48. LARRY GORDONGordon, 54, administrator of Largo Entertainment, could be advised Tokyo’s man in Hollywood. While Sony gobbled up Columbia Pictures, JVC/Victor Co. of Japan bankrolled one man, ambassador of Die Adamantine and Field of Dreams. With about $100 amateur to spend, Gordon will analysis the amnion aing bounce with Point Break, a cop-surfing cine starring Patrick Swayze.
49. OLIVER STONE$ Stone, 44, has angry Big Issues into Big Box Office, accumulation two of the aftermost four Best Administrator Oscars (Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July). The Doors, his ode to Jim Morrison, could adventure into NC-17 territory. Stone will absolute Le Hayslip’s Aback Heaven and Earth Changed Places and aftermath an adjustment of the Harvey Milk adventures Mayor of Castro Street.
50. REBECCA SINKLERAs editor of The New York Times‘ Sunday Book Review, which has added than alert the pages of any added bi-weekly arcane area and four times the staff, Sinkler, 53, harnesses a adeptness that can advertise books, access publishers, and accomplish careers — or breach them. For applied purposes, a book aloof does not abide if it doesn’t get advised in the Sunday Times.
51. BARRY LEVINSONDirector Levinson,48, proves that you don’t consistently accept to be bartering to be commercial. His artful 1988 appearance abstraction Rain Man grossed $172 million; 1987’s Acceptable Morning, Vietnam fabricated $124 million. His bendable blow pays off in adamantine cash, and has accustomed Levinson the advantage to chase up Diner with added aeon films about Baltimore: Tin Men and his latest, Avalon.
52. SPIKE LEEUnlike his beating kneed appearance Mars Blackmon, the absolute Lee, 33, plays to win. Starting with his $175,000 cine She’s Gotta Accept It (which grossed $7 amateur in 1986), he’s had artistic ascendancy of his films. Lee can advertise artefact — $26 amateur in tickets for Do the Appropriate Thing, $16 amateur for 1990’s Mo’ Bigger Blues, pumped-up sales for Nike shoes — as able-bodied as his politics.
53. MARCY CARSEY/TOM WERNERCarsey, 45, and Werner, 40, are TV’s best appalling ball producers. Formerly ABC admiral in allegation of such shows as Taxi and Mork & Mindy, they teamed up in 1981 and now aftermath three top prime-time alternation (Roseanne, A Different World, and The Cosby Show). Another of their shows, Grand, hasn’t been about as popular, but it stays on the air because they appetite it to.
54. BETTE MIDLERProducer-actress-singer Midler, 44, aboriginal appeared in a Disney- Touchstone affection in 1986, and now she’s got her own apartment there. One of the few women who can ”open” a account — accompany in first-night crowds — Midler has brought Disney $300 amateur in grosses on six pix (from Down and Out in Beverly Hills to this year’s Stella). Advancing up: Scenes from a Mall with Woody Allen.
55. OPRAH WINFREY( The ri woman on TV (1990’s balance estimate: $38 million) is additionally one of the shrewdest. Not agreeable with aloof her Emmy-winning allocution show, the 36-year- old gab queen is diversifying. Her film-TV company, Harpo Productions Inc., owns The Oprah Winfrey Show, blur rights to hot books such as Toni Morrison’s Beloved, and a new 100,000-square-foot Chicago studio.
56. BRUCE WILLISWillis, 35, hasn’t had to do any cheating lately. He’s becoming $36 amateur aback 1988, and 1990 was abnormally kind: Die Adamantine 2 fabricated him Schwarzenegger’s bigger battling as an activity star. Attending for him as a boozed-up anchorman in Brian De Palma’s blur adjustment of Tom Wolfe’s 1987 atypical Bonfire of the Vanities — due Dec. 19 — and in the adventure-comedy Hudson Hawk.
57. PAT KINGSLEYPublicists acclimated to be advised flunkies to the stars, but Kingsley, 58, is added like the adeptness abaft the galaxy. Her 35-member firm, PMK, steers the accessible careers of about 60 able celebrities. Kingsley protects shy giants such as Woody Allen, Tom Hanks, and Goldie Hawn, atheism all but the best adorable media inquiries with ruthless, artful intelligence.
58. TONY BROWNEarly in his career,Brown, 43, played a piano in Elvis Presley’s band. Now, as arch of artists-and-repertoire for MCA Records in Nashville, he rakes in a King’s bribe for some of the greatest names in country music, whom he produces with a musician’s ear and a adeptness broker’s muscle. They accommodate Reba McEntire, Rodney Crowell, Lyle Lovett, and Nanci Griffith.
59. MICHAEL FUCHSThe cardinal of households subscribing to HBO has collapsed off, but it’s still the nation’s bigger pay-cable channel, and afterwards six years as its chairman/ CEO, Fuchs, 44, is expanding. In 1990, he shepherded the Ball Approach through its aboriginal year, and his accent on aboriginal programming angry a Madonna concert into one of HBO’s most-watched specials ever.
60. ANTONIO REID/KENNETH EDMONDS”L.A.” Reid, 31, and ”Babyface” Edmonds, 30, wrote Whitney Houston’s ”I’m Your Baby Tonight” — but that’s aloof their hit du jour. They’ve helped barrage Paula Abdul and Bobby Brown. And with a bearing bandage of 17 No. 1 hits on Billboard‘s black-singles blueprint and their own new label, La’Face Records, they’re the aing affair to a hit branch aback Holland-Dozier-Holland.
61. JANE KAPLANIn the wee hours of every weekday, Kaplan decides who gets aboriginal able at the marketplace. As a articulation producer, she books brawl guests for ABC’s awful rated Acceptable Morning America. Kaplan, 35, forth with her accessory Jeane Willis, 32, rules the morning airwaves. They can accomplish a apprentice celeb’s acceptability and accord a blur a big boost.
62. ANDREW WYLIEFor his sly way of admiring — some accept said heisting — clients, New York arcane abettor Wylie, 42, leaves rivals grumbling. Yet authors are absorbed to absolve his excesses, because the $1 million-plus beforehand he reportedly got in a three-book accord for Philip Roth. Others who accept alive up with Wylie: David Mamet, Corazon Aquino, and Benazir Bhutto.
63. NAN A. TALESEOne abiding assurance of adeptness in the book business: your own imprint. And Talese, 56, aloof got one from Doubleday. The aboriginal Nan A. Talese/Doubleday books formed off the presses in August: Brian Moore’s Lies of Silence and Alice Miller’s Banished Knowledge. Amid the advancing attractions: new novels from Margaret Atwood and Pat Conroy.
64. SAM COHNAs arch of ICM’s New York office, Cohn, 61, is Manhattan’s best able agent. His admirers accommodate Meryl Streep, Woody Allen, Mia Farrow, Mike Nichols, and Sigourney Weaver. Aftermost year he helped put calm the aggregation for Postcards From the Edge. For an encore, he provided administrator Fred Schepisi for The Russia House, the $23 amateur spy abstruseness due in December.
65. RUSS SOLOMONSolomon, 65, controls one of the world’s bigger retail almanac Chains — Tower Records. With added than 50 supermarket-size food about the globe, he makes decisions that affect the absolute music industry: His advancing business of CDs has helped change the way millions accept to music. Affairs accommodate a Tower Moscow. Let the glasnost roll.
66. MERYL STREEPAfter some bartering accoutrement (like Ironweed), Streep, 41, came aback to box- appointment activity this year with a big abatement hit, Postcards From the Edge. She’s accomplished abundant to survive films that bomb and uses her acclaim to focus absorption on issues. At SAG’s Civic Women’s Conference in August, the Academy Award champ accursed Hollywood for the absence of appropriate roles for women and their low pay.
67. ANNIE LEIBOVITZThere’s about no bigger acceptance of air-conditioned than a account attempt for Vanity Fair by Leibovitz, 41. Her arrangement with the annual and her characteristic ads for American Express and the Gap accept fabricated her queen of celebrity photographers. Additionally on the big-picture roster: Herb Ritts (whose bulk is $20,000 a day), Matthew Rolston, and Greg Gorman.
68. STEVEN BOCHCOThree years ago, ABC and Twentieth Century Fox agreed to pay Bochco $50 amateur to aftermath 10 alternation over 10 years. The deal, which set car phones alive all over Hollywood, fabricated the 46-year-old architect of Hill Street Blues one of TV’s top producers. The arrangement has netted one hit (Doogie Howser, M.D., in its additional season) and one credible bomb (this year’s Cop Rock).
69. TED KOPPELWith such scoops as Gary Hart’s 1987 on-air mea culpa (”I fabricated a austere mistake”) and George Bush’s 1988 on-air blooper (”Dan, I’ll booty all the credit”), Koppel, 50, has fabricated ABC’s Nightline possibly the best affecting account show, alluring millions of admirers a night. In 1990, he addled again: He was the aboriginal U.S. announcer to awning the Gulf crisis from central Iraq.
70. DON HEWITTAs architect of CBS’ 60 Minutes, Hewitt, 67, controls TV’s best important prime-time newscast. In its 23rd season, the appearance still attracts huge ratings: Its Iraq advantage was amid the summer’s best-watched programming. In fact, 60 Account is the abandoned alternation to accomplishment in Nielsen’s top 10 for 13 beeline years. It’s additionally a huge money-maker, breeding upwards of $1 billion in profits aback its debut.
71. M.C. HAMMERPlease Hammer Don’t Hurt Em’ went triple-plantinum in 1990, affairs added than 6 amateur copies. Abandoned the third rap anthology to hit No. 1 on the charts, Please Hammer helped the music become mainstream. Hammer (a.k.a. Stanley Kirk Burrell), 27, additionally started his own almanac label, Bustin’, and alive a $TK amateur endorsement accord with Diet Pepsi (he agitated a can with him during this year’s MTV video awardsres: analysis on style).
72. WOODY ALLENAllen was already asked if he capital to accomplish aeon through his films. He said no, he capital to accomplish it by not dying. Woody, 55, will accept to settle: As America’s best admired comedian, he’s one of the few filmmakers accustomed absolute artistic control. His cine for this year: Alice, due aing ages and featuring William Hurt. About anybody wants to assignment with him: Madonna has alive up for his aing film.
73. TOM CRUISECruise, 28, is such a bankable brilliant that this summer’s accepted Canicule of Thunder — which grossed $81 amateur — was advised article of a disappointment. Aftermost year’s Vietnam drama, Born on the Fourth of July, did about the aforementioned — $70 amateur — and becoming Cruise an Oscar nomination. Whatever the ticket-booth take, the amateur is amply paid: he fabricated $19 amateur in 1990.
74. GOLDIE HAWNA acceptable year for Goldie. Afterwards a cardinal of flops (Swing Shift, Protocol, Overboard), the 44-year-old actress/producer fabricated a comeback. Bird on a Wire denticulate big at the box appointment — earning $70 amateur — and she alive a $30 million, seven-film acting and assembly accord with Disney’s Hollywood Pictures. The aboriginal activity is Crisscross, in which she’ll ball a stripper.
75. SONNY MEHTAWhen Robert Gottlieb larboard Knopf, publishing assembly afraid that the celebrated abode would lose its advancing edge. But Mehta, 47, has connected the firm’s attitude of press acclaimed writers. This year, he appear such assertive authors as John Updike (Rabbit at Rest), Gabriel Garcia Marquez (The General in His Labyrinth), and Anne Rice (The Witching Hour).
76. MEL GIBSONGibson’s box-office cull — accepted already afresh with 1989’s $147 million-grossing Lethal Weapon 2 — agency the 34-year-old amateur can ball any allotment he wants — alike Hamlet. And he will, in a new blur adjustment of the ball due this Christmas. Don’t attending for Gibson on 1991’s adeptness list, though: His continuing ascendancy has fabricated him so adequate he’s demography aing year off.
77. DANIELLE STEELECritics accuse about her autograph — ”adolescent scribblings,” said One — but millions of admirers fabricated Steel, 43, one of the year’s bigger authors. Her 26th novel, Delacorte’s Message from Nam, soared assimilate the best-seller lists aftermost spring. Added 1990 successes: Two NBC movies, based on Fine Things and Kaleidoscope, were amid the fall’s best-rated TV films.
78. JEAN AUELAuel’s The Plains of Passage had the bigger aboriginal press anytime for anthology fiction — 1.6 amateur copies — and went into a additional press alike afore those books accomplished stores. Auel, 54, additionally bankrupt the almanac for first-day sales: Over 15,000 copies were awash Oct. 3. With her 1990 success, she leads Crown Publishers’ A list, forth with Judith Krantz and Dominick Dunne.
79. STEPHEN KINGKing has been so acknowledged in contempo years it’s about scary. Aboriginal the horror-meister, 43, alive a $35 million, four-book accord with Viking. Afresh he lived out every writer’s fantasy: He adequate 150,000 words edited from 1978’s The Stand, and it debuted at No. 1 on The New York Times‘ best-seller list. His added best-sellers in ’90: The Dark Half and Four Accomplished Midnight.
80. ROB REINERAnother nice year for the aloft Meathead: The 43-year-old actor-turned-auteur directed his aboriginal thriller, the $21 amateur Misery, due out Nov. 30. It’s a adventurous abandonment for Reiner, best accepted for ablaze comedies (When Harry Met Sally?). But as a accomplice in the assembly aggregation Castle Rock Entertainment, Reiner has added movie-making adeptness than ever.
81. JACK NICHOLSONThe Two Jakes accustomed some of 1990’s affliction reviews, but it says a lot about Nicholson’s adeptness that he got the blur made. The abstraction for a Chinatown aftereffect had been blame about for years; it wasn’t until the 53-year-old Oscar champ stepped abaft the camera that it happened. Why such clout? Batman helped. It grossed $250 amateur in the U.S. abandoned (Nicholson’s take: $50 million).
82. MICHAEL JACKSONIt didn’t alpha out as a abstruseness year for Jackson: His promotional accord with L.A. Gear bombed. Still, the 32-year-old singer’s ascendancy was bright aback rumors he adeptness about-face labels rocked the music industry — and reportedly triggered the abandonment of CBS Records arch Walter Yetnikoff. Jackson’s renegotiating and is accepted to assurance a accord account added than $50 million.
83. TOM CLANCYTen years ago, Clancy was autograph allowance policies. Today, the Hunt for Red October author, 43, writes annihilation but best-sellers. He has alive a arise $50 million, four-book arrangement with Putnam, and is advised the best acknowledged spy biographer aback Ian Fleming. His latest, Bright and Present Danger, sailed beeline to the top of the best- agent list.
84. KEN FOLLETTEarly in 1990, it seemed publishing was abetment abroad from megabuck deals. Afresh Dell Publishing gave Follett, 40, a $12.3 million, two-book package, and the industry was agog: The biographer (Eye of the Needle, Pillars of the Earth) is accepted enough, but isn’t yet a Steel-size name. (Author Jeffrey Archer may accept done alike better; he claims to accept been offered $20 amateur for three books.)
85. RICHARD HEFFNERAs arch of the MPAA appraisement board, Heffner helps adjudge which filmmakers accept been annoying and which accept been nice. This year the 65-year-old Rutgers assistant seemed abnormally cranky: He gave an X appraisement to Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!, Hardware, and several added provocative, much-praised films. The clamor resulted in the below stigmatizing NC-17 rating.
86. JAMES MICHENERIt was one of the beeline pieces Michener had anytime accounting — a three-page announcement — but it affected off a agitation at Random House. In March, afterwards several firings at the publisher, the 83-year-old columnist threatened to leave for ”some baby house, acquiescent to the old traditions.” Random Abode buyer S.I. Newhouse smoothed things over with the writer, who alive a big two-book accord in April.
87. ROBERT REDFORDAfter a four-year absence, Redford, 53, allotment to the awning in December in Sydney Pollack’s Havana. But Redford has been alive off-camera, alive the affecting Sundance Institute, the cinema think-tank he founded a decade ago. This year, its blur anniversary was bigger than ever, ablution the analytical hit Metropolitan; aftermost year’s champ was , lies, and videotape.
88. MICHAEL DOUGLASMost actors appetite to direct; Douglas wants to aftermath — and does. This year the 46-year-old Academy Award champ is alive abaft the scenes on the applesauce ball Men in Trouble and on the fantasy-adventure Radio Flyer. He will get $15 amateur for a role in the abstruseness Basic Instinct and is costarring with Melanie Griffith in the spy affair Shining Through, due aing year.
89. SUZANNE DE PASSEThis ages Motown will bless its 30th altogether with a big-deal TV special: a aftereffect to Motown’s Emmy-winning 25th. De Passe, 43, has produced both — and, as arch of Gordy/de Passe Productions, additionally was amenable for aftermost year’s acclaimed miniseries Lonesome Dove. By advocacy Motown’s nonmusical account 400 percent in 10 years, she has fabricated the aggregation a multimedia player.
90. JANE FONDAShe’s the titan of exercise tapes. Fonda has awash about 6 amateur copies of her 12 videos, campanology up added than $165 amateur in retail sales. This year’s archetypal is Lean Routine. Fonda, 52, still appears in movies (Stanley & Iris with Robert De Niro) and still produces (she has six films in development, including a accommodate of Women on the Verge of a Afraid Breakdown).
91. BILL COSBYCosby, 53, is the highest-paid entertainer, says Forbes (the annual claimed the amateur will accomplish $55 amateur in 1990). His commercials don’t assume to calculation as abundant as they already did, and his aftermost book, 1987’s Time Flies, was advised a black seller. But his ball is alike added basic to NBC’s fortunes now that it’s aggressive with Fox’s The Simpsons.
92. GERALDINE LAYBOURNEAs arch of cable’s Nickelodeon children’s approach (available in 53 amateur homes), Laybourne, 43, has pioneered such tot-friendly programming as Super Sloppy Bifold Dare, the allocution appearance Don’t Aloof Sit There, and the acclaimed boob appearance Eureeka’s Castle. In 1990, added accouchement watched kids’ shows on Nickelodeon than on the three big advertisement networks combined.
93. DON SIMPSON & JERRY BRUCKHEIMERBruckheimer, 43, and Simpson, 45, fabricated some of the ’80s’ bigger hits: Flashdance, Beverly Hills Cop, and Top Gun. Despite a box-office disappointment like this year’s Canicule of Thunder (which becoming $81 million), the two producers accept what may be the best advantageous assembly accord in Hollywood history: a $300 million, five-year arrangement with Paramount.
94. MICHAEL DI CAPUAChildren’s books are a developed business these days: Publishers awash about $900 amateur account in 1989, an industry record. Di Capua, 42 — and aide Stephen Roxburgh, 40 — are two of the best able names in the biz: In 1990, the Farrar, Straus & Giroux editors brought out Alexandra Day’s Carl’s Christmas (first printing: 200,000) and William Steig’s Shrek! (75,000).
95. BARRY GORDONAs admiral of the Awning Actors Guild, Gordon, 41, represents 75,000 blur and TV actors, a blatant constituency as abased on the industry as the industry is on them. Clashing his predecessor, Ed Asner, the centrist Gordon has calmed tensions amid the guild’s advanced and bourgeois factions. By bound signing producers to a new arrangement aftermost year, he abhorred a echo of the crippling 1980 strike.
96. HERBERT A. ALLEN JR.The 50-year-old advance broker may be the savviest show-biz charlatan on Wall Street. Aftermost year, aback Sony Corp. bought Columbia Pictures, Allen helped align the deal, pocketing $106 amateur in fees and profits for his advance cyberbanking firm, Allen & Co. Allen has let it be accepted that he’s still alive in entertainment, but, typically, is mum on the details.
97. THOMAS B. MOTTOLAAfter airy CEO Walter Yetnikoff’s departure, CBS Records admiral Mottola, 41, could move into the almanac industry’s hottest aperture if Sony wants him. September was CBS’ arch ages ever, and with George Michael affairs bulk alongside New Kids on the Block and Mariah Carey, the bandage should continue. A reportedly acknowledged renegotiation with Michael Jackson could put him over the top.
98. JENNIFER LAWSONDespite shrinking assembly budgets and accretion cable competition, PBS’ 44-year-old arch of civic programming pulled off an amazing accomplishment in 1990: She gave accessible TV its bigger hit ever: The Civil War, which admiring 50 amateur admirers over bristles nights. Innovation didn’t stop there: Below Lawson, PBS began announcement its shows on bartering networks.
99. A.D. MURPHYMurphy, 57, is Hollywood’s top numbers cruncher. As a box-office analyst for Daily Variety, he’s the actionable — but abundant apprehend — statistician of the cinema, the man who counts the grosses, sizes up the bazaar shares, watches the trends, and determines which pictures are hits and which are flops. He’s been accomplishing it for 26 years — and his admirers is as alert as ever.
100. PEGGY CHARRENCharren, 62, arch of the lobbying accumulation Activity for Children’s Television, has been alive to advance kids’ TV for 22 years. Her bigger achievement in 1990 came aback Congress anesthetized legislation abbreviation the bulk of announcement time accustomed in children’s programs (it’s bound to 10 1/2 account an hour on weekends and up to 12 account an hour on weekdays).
101. PETER MORTONMorton, 43, owns the Hollywood adeptness restaurant, an backward West Hollywood bar-and-grill named, appropriately, Mortons. Regulars accommodate Warren Beatty, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Arsenio Hall, Barbra Streisand, Michael Douglas, Jeffrey Katzenberg, and Mel Gibson. If a bomb alone in the abode on a Monday night, Hollywood would be out of business.
Accounting by: Tim Appelo, Giselle Benatar, Margot Dougherty, Mark Harris, Greg Kilday, Kelli Pryor, and Benjamin Svetkey. Additional advertisement by: Michael Angeli, MArtha Babcock, Meredith Berkman, Jess Cagle, David Craig, Steve Daly, Melina Gerosa, Roberta Grant, Kate Meyers, Jim Oberman, and Anne Thompson.
Why Is Jackson Mystique Size Chart Considered Underrated? | Jackson Mystique Size Chart – jackson mystique size chart
| Pleasant to be able to my personal weblog, on this period I will show you regarding jackson mystique size chart