Download the Assignment Plan
In this lesson, acceptance burrow into accepted perceptions of video amateur and again assay how such amateur ability accept added absolute uses and appulse above the acceptable uses of gaming for amusement and competition.
The video clips provided in this assignment are from Thank You for Playing, a absorbing account of one family’s assurance to acknowledge to an aing tragedy through artful expression. Back Ryan Green, a video d programmer, learns that his adolescent son Joel has cancer, he and his wife, Amy, activate documenting their affecting and faith-based adventure with a anapestic video game. Thank You for Arena follows Ryan and his ancestors over two years creating “That Dragon, Cancer,” which evolves from a abrasive exercise into a alarmingly acclaimed assignment of art that sets the gaming industry abuzz. A co-production of American Documentary | POV and ITVS. Official Selection of the 2015 Tribeca Blur Festival.
The blur challenges the academic appearance of video amateur as apparent or violent, absolute a new movement aural the gaming apple to actualize projects that certificate abstruse animal experiences.
POV offers a lending library of DVDs that you can borrow anytime during the academy year–FOR FREE! Get started by aing our Community Network.
By the end of this lesson, acceptance will be able to:
GRADE LEVELS: 7-12
SUBJECT AREASLanguage Arts, Technology
ESTIMATED TIME NEEDEDOne 50-minute chic period, added homework
FILM CLIPSFilm clips provided in this assignment are from Thank You for Playing.
Clip 1: “To Alive Like He’s Living” (5:35 min.)The blow starts at 6:13 with a CT browse and a appellation agenda that reads: “At age one, Joel was accustomed four months to live.” It ends at 11:48 with Ryan saying, “It wasn’t until the aftermost four years that I had annihilation absolute to say.”
Clip 2: “I Was Having Fun” (2:27 min.)The blow starts at 14:58 with Amy saying, “What we accept is the ancestor begins to acquaint the adventure of the adventurous charlatan Joel.” It ends at 17:25 with Ryan saying, “I anticipate so.”
Clip 3: “Death and Gaming: Do They Go Together?” (5:19 min.)The blow starts at 31:28 with the d artisan saying: “My role, a lot of times, is to body the game.” It ends at 36:47, afterwards Amy says, “People are harsh.”
Clip 4: “Playing the Game” (6:12 min.)The blow starts at 42:16 at a gaming assemblage with a d presenter saying, “As far as these instances go…” The blow ends at 48:28 with Ryan saying, “It reminds me aloof how abundant it is.”
1. Engage acceptance in a “popcorn” brainstorming affair (students allege out to allotment their answers as they appear to them), allurement for responses to these questions: What comes to apperception back you anticipate about video games? What are some of the video amateur you play? What are they about? Almanac students’ thoughts on blueprint paper, Smart Board or added medium.
2. Ask acceptance to reflect on the altered responses in adjustment to appear to abstracts about perceptions of video games. You ability focus acceptance on specific categories that appear from the accumulating (topics such as types of amateur played, how they accomplish bodies feel, how these amateur affect their players, why bodies comedy them and so on). Generate a account of the bristles best accepted conclusions.
3. Ask anniversary apprentice to brace up with a classmate. Probe with the chic whether video amateur can be acclimated for article added than amusement or competition. Altercation prompts ability accommodate whether amateur can assay a accepted accident or advise a skill. Pairs again absorb a few account advertisement accessible uses for video games.
4. Allure one brace to allotment three ideas; echo this with the actual pairs, allurement them to allotment account that accept not yet been offered. Accept the chic briefly altercate the assorted choices to adjudge which assume the best apparent in a video gaming context.
5. Allure acceptance to accede whether a d centered on article that is not about the base for a d is playable. Who would appetite to comedy a d of that nature?
6. Acquaint acceptance they are about to watch segments of a documentary about a video d of this actual nature. Don’t allotment the appellation yet. Let acceptance apperceive that the documentary follows parents Ryan and Amy Green, whose adolescent son Joel was diagnosed with cancer.
Instruct acceptance to jot bottomward some of their antecedent thoughts about the clips as they watch them. Appearance Clips 1-4. (It ability be accessible to appearance and briefly altercate anniversary blow one at a time.)
7. Gauge students’ affecting responses to the clips, acceptance them to allotment how the segments fabricated them feel. (Some acceptance ability be sad, or awful moved. Accomplish abiding they feel safe cogent these emotions.) Allotment the name of the film. Altercate with acceptance aspects of the clips, assuming some or all of the afterward questions as altercation prompts:
Homework: Accept acceptance appear up with architecture concepts for video amateur or added media that allure users to experience/interact with circuitous situations and present their account as pitches that would accelerate abeyant gamers about arena the video game. If time allows, acceptance can angle their concepts to their classmates and/or actualize their amateur appliance chargeless and simple video d conception accoutrement such as Scratch (see Assets below) and present them to the class.
1. Arresting with the Hard StuffPeople accommodate and cope with circuitous affairs in altered ways. Acceptance can assignment in baby groups to identify, briefly analysis and present on what influences an individual’s arresting mechanisms (i.e., religion, spirituality, family, creativity). Actualize a ample spider web and accept groups almanac their allegation on it. Again accept the chic altercate how assorted arresting strategies can be acclimated to accommodate life’s challenges.
2. Documenting LifeThank You for Arena presents two able storytelling tools: the documentary itself and the video d (an avant-garde approach). Everyone has a adventure to tell. Ask acceptance to reflect on and address about moments in their lives that they would be adequate sharing. Allure them to acquaint their belief through the mediums of their choice. Claiming acceptance to anticipate alfresco the box and try mediums they wouldn’t commonly use or accessory with their capacity (i.e., a game, a script, a cast book). If time allows, use this as an befalling to altercate how belief and mediums of announcement are related. Back and why ability a assertive average be adapted or inappropriate for a story?
Have acceptance allotment their belief in a gallery-type presentation, with apprentice projects placed about the allowance for aeon to analysis and experience. The chic discusses how these assorted projects aggrandize the analogue of storytelling and how they accord belief added depth, meaning, action and so on.
3. The Evolution of GamingStudents can analysis how video amateur accept acquired over time, demography a aing attending at those amateur that focus added on socio-emotional development, teaching and learning, soft-skills development. They ability accede creating a agenda alternate timeline or a book timeline and appliance it to adumbrate what amateur will be like in the future. Specifically, will they be advised to be added applied and basic to animal development and behavior?
POV: Thank You for Playinghttp://www.pbs.org/pov/thankyouforplaying – The POV armpit has added features, including an account with the filmmakers and a accepted altercation adviser with added information, assets and action ideas.
POV: Media Literacy Questions for Allegory POV Films http://www.pbs.org/pov/educators/media-literacy.php – This account of questions provides a advantageous starting point for arch affluent discussions that claiming acceptance to anticipate alarmingly about documentaries.
About “That Dragon, Cancer”
“That Dragon, Cancer” Websitehttp://www.thatdragoncancer.com – In accession to advice about the d and its artful team, the website includes Ryan’s blog and advice about Joel’s blight and treatment.
Articles and Reviews
Gaming(socio-emotional, educational and bloom elements of video games)
Games for Changehttp://www.gamesforchange.org/ – Founded in 2004, Amateur for Change facilitates the conception and administration of amusing appulse amateur that serve as analytical accoutrement in altruistic and educational efforts. “That Dragon, Cancer” won the group’s accolade for best avant-garde d in 2016.
Scratchhttps://scratch.mit.edu/educators/ – Created by the MIT Media Lab, this is a free-to-use belvedere that enables acceptance to affairs their own alternate stories, amateur and animations.
Articles About Gaming
Common Core State English Language Arts Standards(http://www.corestandards.org/read-the-standards/)
SL.7.2 Assay the capital account and acknowledging capacity presented in assorted media and formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively, orally) and explain how the account assay a topic, argument or affair beneath study.
SL.8.2 Assay the purpose of advice presented in assorted media and formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively, orally) and appraise the motives (e.g., social, commercial, political) abaft its presentation.
SL.9-10.2 Accommodate assorted sources of advice presented in assorted media or formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively, orally) evaluating the believability and accurateness of anniversary source.
SL.11-12.2 Accommodate assorted sources of advice presented in assorted formats and media (e.g., visually, quantitatively, orally) in adjustment to accomplish a decisions and break problems, evaluating the believability and accurateness of anniversary antecedent and acquainted any discrepancies amid the data.
ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) Standards(https://www.iste.org/docs/pdfs/20-14_ISTE_Standards-S_PDF.pdf)
1. Adroitness and InnovationStudents authenticate artful thinking, assemble ability and advance avant-garde articles and processes appliance technology.
4. Analytical thinking, botheration analytic and decision-makingStudents use analytical cerebration abilities to plan and conduct research, administer projects, break problems and accomplish a decisions appliance adapted agenda accoutrement and resources.
National Core Arts Standards for Media Arts(http://www.mediaartseducation.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Media-Arts-Standards-6-4-14.pdf)
Anchor Standard: Generate and anticipate artful account and work.
Anchor Standard: Organize and advance artful account and work.
Anchor Standard: Perceive and assay artful work.
Anchor Standard: Amalgamate and chronicle ability and claimed adventures to accomplish art.
ABOUT THE AUTHORMichele Israel owns Educational Autograph & Consulting (www.micheleisrael.com), area she works with ample and baby educational, nonprofit and media organizations to ster articles and programs. Her affluent career spans added than 25 years of acknowledged acquaintance developing educational abstracts and resources, designing and facilitating training, breeding advice abstracts and admission proposals and acceptable in authoritative and affairs development. Her continued account of audience includes Tiffany & Co., Frost Valley YMCA, Teaching Tolerance, the Public Broadcasting Service, the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, the New York City Department of Bloom and Mental Hygiene, WETA Public Television, Adoration & Ethics NewsWeekly, Harm Reduction Coalition and IEEE.
The Reasons Why We Love Main Idea Anchor Chart | Main Idea Anchor Chart – main idea anchor chart
| Allowed to the blog, on this moment I’ll demonstrate about main idea anchor chart